Thursday, March 14, 2013

Daniel 3

No Smell of Fire

Getting through week 2 of the study was challenging. I tend to embrace it so deeply that my head swims with information. She wanted us to learn and learning I am doing. Sometimes confusing, sometimes overwhelming, but all the time to grow more toward Him. As I blog about this, something that wasn’t so clear the first time, becomes clearer. If you want to experience this study, don’t wait for it to come to you. Maybe God is calling you to facilitate one of your own. God wants you to step up and make some noise.

The question Beth Moore asked us:

“Are we the same at church as we are when we are away from church?”

If I was able to get to church on a regular basis, I would have to say yes and no. Ah Ha, part of my insecurities? I don’t try to be anyone other then who I am. At one time or another I would pretend things were better then they were but never me. I didn’t and don’t dress to please anyone else. I have clothes in my closet that are not of this decade or the last. I am comfortable and at times might feel as if I am not dressed like other ladies, but it doesn’t stick with me long. Sometimes I do myself up, but for the most part, I’m just a plain Jane. A little mascara, light eye shadow, pink up the checks and I’m done. I never understood all the hoopla with make-up and hair styles. I’m just not comfortable made-up, I think I have always been a ‘this is what you get'’ kind of gal. My sister use to try and do all these hair styles on me for school pictures, and honestly I love how they came out, but after, I was in the bathroom, washing my face and combing out my hair. Back when I had to make myself up for conventions and banquets, I couldn’t wait to get back to my room and change back to me. Thankfully my sister and I were the same size so I would borrow from her for these events. After 35+ years of these events I still only have 3 formals in my closet and they haven’t been worn in ages. I guess I’m a bit like my grandfather Joe. My mom use to tell me tales of him going to church in his overalls. Being a rancher, a shepherd of God, seriously he raised sheep, he use to say something like, “I did put on my good clothes, these are only for Sundays.” I believe he always knew his place with God.

Going off topic just a bit because it added a piece to a very difficult puzzle.

I guess there might have been a time it might have embarrassed her. We all have had those moments when our parents embarrassed us and I can picture that being one of hers. My grandfather in his overalls at church! Being probably 14-16 in 1935-37, having no mother since the age of 7, aunts and friends had taught her the things she knew and going to church in your Sunday best was one of them. For her, I think she was different at home then at church. I don’t ever believe she idolized anything other then God. I loved my mother at church. She always had a glow about her. Being the baby girl, it was like our special time while the others were in school. I understand now how she was held captive by wounds she never knew how to deal with or heal with accept through God. What a great example to set. I get sad when I think of her living in that Babylon. I remember wanting to free her from it in my twenties. Not knowing it then, God was already taking care of it. I watched, listened, and absorbed many of her qualities, her faith, strength, devotion, love, and her abilities to remain focused on God. My rebelling years, my dark days, where given light because she planted those seeds. Don’t us moms all want to be like our mom’s! If that is an idol, then I am guilty. I believe she was a gift from God, for me to cherish through His eyes. Success mom!

Food for thought; Do you get caught up in the image or idol of self?

Taller When Others Bow 

He then summoned the satraps, prefects, governors, advisers, treasurers, judges, magistrates and all the other provincial officials to come to the dedication of the image he had set up. (Daniel 3:2)

Daniel shares his vision about what the statue symbolized and yet Nebuchadnezzar built it anyway. Not only did he build it, he made everyone bow down to it. He held a dedication for it that only the most VIP’s would attend.

“The inspiration for building an image doesn’t come from the Holy Spirit.” (Dan. 2:36-40)

God wants us not to be served, but to serve. (Mark 10:42-45)

Lose your life for Him, and you saved your own life (Luke 9:24-25)

Babylon was all about image, not about God. However, when something finally did shake the king who did he turn to. The God of Daniel, and Daniel tried, but old King Neb still didn’t get it till he got it! His conditions to bow to the idol was another example of not hearing the whole message. Did he not hear that the statue was a warning of what to come. I don’t think I would have built the thing that was causing me the nightmares. Nothing like bringing them to life. But Daniel, he just kept on praying, again defying an order.

Another Side of Self Absorption

So the satraps, prefects, governors, advisers, treasurers, judges, magistrates and all the other provincial officials assembled for the dedication of the image that King Nebuchadnezzar had set up, and they stood before it. (Daniel 3:3)

King Neb had a willingness to look taller by making those around him seem smaller. His Babylon was his glory but never was it meant to be glory for God. Keep reminding yourself that God already laid out the chain of events and how they would unfold. Daniel would again remind good old King Neb of that.

But not only can we build up a better image of ourselves, we can also build a poor self-image.

She asked us to review the Babylonian motto: “I am, and there is none besides me”.

Besides none prettier besides me, richer, smarter, we can take it the other way as well.

“I am ugly, and there is none as ugly as  me.”

“I am a fool, and there is no bigger fool then me.”

Rather you build yourself up or down, both are a form of self-absorption.

John 15:8, 16 reminds us of our purpose in God’s word.

“This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”

“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.”

As she tells us, we were not wired to be worshiped. But worship the word of God. King Neb was insecure even with his title. Remember the taller he got, the smaller everyone else got. He really like being bigger then life, and he had a statue, bigger then life. The worldly way says to seek position, the word way says, “Seek God”

“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. (Daniel 3:13-16)

Wow! This only brings us to the end of day 2. If I am going to blog about this journey I need learn how to reduce and simplify. However there is nothing simple about Babylon and much to say if we want to be a Daniel. With that said, I need to do this chapter, and maybe others, in two parts if I am to fully blog of how this study impacted my life. The problem I am having is finding the time to blog while on my current chapter. So, until I am finished, which is only 3 more weeks, postings will have to come second. Where we are now in the study is shaking our world and I can only continue to see God’s direction. So hang on, stand by, don’t turn the channel, part 2 will return next week, same time, same channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment